Hey New friends,
Welcome to join us and to study in West Virginia University!! We are so proud to have you as one of our members!
WVU is located in a peaceful and beautiful small town, Morgantown, West Virginia. Morgantown has been named the best small city in America recently! We are privileged to have a combination of the friendly and safe atmosphere of a small community with the modern conveniences of a metropolitan city.
State animal: Black Bear | State bird: Cardinal | State flower: Rhododendron | State tree: Sugar Maple
We understand that you may feel a little bit worried if you’ve never been to the United States, as we did. We were concerned about our landing, lodging and accommodation before boarding. Now, we are here and try to reduce your anxiety. First, please carefully read our Welcome Letter( Chinese Version , English Version ), and make sure following the instructions.
We also invite you to check out our group list website, join our group list and share information with all members here. Please do not hesitate to post your specific information whenever you need help. If you do not have a yahoo ID right now, just send us an email, we will add you to our group list in 24 hours.
Please keep in mind that we will try our best to help you to settle down.If you need housing, pick-up or any other help, please post a message via email@example.com after joining our group list. You may also get more latest messages on our group list.
We are looking forward to meeting you soon! Good luck and have a nice trip!
Ready to Trip
Things to Bring:
Before leaving China, we suggest you
- Make sure you get all documents
o I-20 Form with the financial aids information
o Admission Letter from WVU and/or from the Department /Program
o The letter with the information on Financial Aids (If it’s included in the previous letters, then this letter is not necessary)
o Passport/Visa and Certificate (Birth, Marriage, Degree might be useful )
o Immunization form
- Rent an apartment to live. We strongly suggest you share an apartment with elder students/scholars. Please keep an eye on roommate messages from our group list. You may also post such information by yourself. One Bedroom: 450 to 650$/Month; two Bedroom: 600 to 750$/Month (300-375$/person/month); three Bedroom: 750 to 1200$/Month (260-400$/person/month).
- Schedule flight. We recommend you to fly into Morgantown Municipal Aiport although it may cost $100~$200 more compared to arriving at Pittsburgh. If not, you’d better schedule a flight which arrives Pittsburgh between 10:00am~8:00pm, and weekend is preferable. While getting a ticket, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you need pick-up, including
o Your scheduled flight, e.g. UA850
o Leaving time, e.g. 16:45,Beijing Time, Arriving time, e.g. 20:20,East time of US, Pittsburgh Airport
o How about your luggage (including number and size)
- Be sure to bring the phone numbers of contact persons at WVU and some cash with you so that you can call us in case of emergency, e.g., your flight is delayed. You can change your cash into quarters at change machine at the airport to make emergency calls, etc.
- First get your luggage, you must check in! Different air lines will have different limitations: Air China will limit to 20 lbs, Northwest will limit to 40 lbs.
- Change airplane in the USA. Find the right gate and get there on time. You don’t need worry about your luggage any more until you arrive Pittsburgh. It will be highly recommended to have your luggage labeled.
- Fill in forms in airplane, and keep your I-94 ! ( I-94 is very important, keep it with your passport).
- At the customs. You need to show the following documents to the customs officers:
o I-20 form (keep student copy)
o I-94 form (Keep)
Useful Traveling Engllish is available.
We need to know your airline company, flight number and arrival time at Pittsburgh Airport before you leave. If your flight were delayed or anything would be changed, please notify your contact person or us immediately. We will meet you at the place for baggage claiming in the Pittsburgh Airport.
- When you come to this university, first go to the Office of International Students and Scholars (E. Moore Hall) with your passport, I-20, and I-94 to register and check in.
- Take part in New Student Orientation at Mountainlair.
o Student ID. Take relevant documents with you and apply for your student ID, you will have your photo taken and get the ID a couple days later, provided your successful registration.
o Health Insurance. If you get Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship, your medical insurance should be automatically covered. Please fill all forms during the orientation. As we all understand that medical expense is really expensive in the US, if you have dependent with you, we also recommend you to buy medical insurance for him/her.
o Social Security Number. SSN is like the Identification in China. SSN is imperative for applying any kind of certificate or cards, such as driver license, credit card, etc. Bring your passport, I-94, I-20 and the Working permission proof (RA or TA or GA) provided by your department or the International Center and go to ISSS for detail application information. BTW, you will be required to fill your parents name (pin yin), be sure to remember how you spell it in case any trouble happens when your parents come to see you later. You can get the SSN card in 2 weeks. If you need it urgently, you can call them in ten days. Put your SSN card in a safe place, and memorize it. Do not tell others about it.
o Payroll paperwork. If you get Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship, you should finish all payroll paperwork during the orientation. Your salary is paid semi-monthly, you will get your first payment about a month latter. It will be highly recommended to open an bank account immediately after your arriving. If you use your saving or check account when you fill the paperwork, the payment will go to your account automatically.
o Course Registration. You should register at least 9 credit hours to be a full time student, usually 3 courses in a semester. Discuss with your academic advisor before you register courses. Have a look at Available Courses in advance.
Make a call to your parents
Make sure you enter the Promotion Code: CSSAWVU for each time purchasing or recharging the card, so that you can get 60 FREE minutes credit and it will apply to your account immediately.
Also, you can choose Google Voice： http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Voice
We urge you act early in apartment hunting. In case of not finding a room while arrival, we will try our best to provide temporary lodging for incoming new students with the help from the Chinese community. On the other hand, we suggest you pay a little as a courtesy to your host family, though we know most of them will not accept your offer.